REVIEW: Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

Monday, January 26, 2015


Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas
Published by: Simon Pulse on May 6th, 2013
Series: No
Pages: 400
Format: Paperback
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5/5
BUY THE BOOK or ADD IT TO GOODREADS!

From Goodreads: Paradise in Aruba quickly gets gruesome in this ripped-from-the-headlines thriller (Kirkus Reviews) with a twist that defies the imagination.

It's Spring Break of senior year. Anna, her boyfriend Tate, her best friend Elise, and a few other close friends are off to a debaucherous trip to Aruba that promises to be the time of their lives.

But when Elise is found brutally murdered, Anna finds herself trapped in a country not her own, fighting against vile and contemptuous accusations. As Anna sets out to find her friend's killer, she discovers harsh revelations about her friendships, the slippery nature of truth, and the ache of young love.

Awaiting the judge's decree, it becomes clear to Anna that everyone around her thinks she is not only guilty, but also dangerous. And when the whole story comes out, reality is more shocking that anyone could ever imagine...

My Thoughts:

Dearest Dangerous Girls,

Well, you are talked about a lot around the blogosphere. I've been seeing your pretty little cover all over the place! Then, book outlet had this epic boxing day sale, and I knew I had to have you in my life! All of that amazing buzz about you forced me into buying you, and ultimately laying in bed for an entire day so I could read you in one sitting. Wowza. You are so worth it!!

You follow the story of Anna, who goes on a Spring Break trip with her friends and boyfriend to Aruba. Everything is going great, until they find Anna's best friend Elise brutally murdered, and Anna gets accused of the murder. Anna needs to find her friend's real killer, but as she sets out to do so, she finds a lot of messed up things about her friends.

You were a total mind-effer, Dangerous Girls. I was addicted to your prose, flashbacks, and timeline. The way everything was laid out for the reader was seamless and addicting. The need to finish you as fast as I could was strong, because I had to know who the real killer was!!! I had a few guesses, but I never, ever thought what really happened was what really happened. I didn't even see it coming, and usually I catch those things, so BRAVO! I felt so horrible for Anna! I couldn't imagine going on a trip with my best friend, her end up getting murdered, and then finding out everyone thinks it was Anna that murdered her. She had some effed up friends, for sure. It would be terrifying to be in a foreign country, and have to go through what Anna did. Heck, it would be terrifying if it was even in your own country, but the foreignness brought the level of suspense/craziness/horrifying to a whole other lever.

You're a tough book to review, because I can't say too much without spoiling anything for someone. You work so well because of the epic mystery behind you. If there was any book that I have discussed and said this with, forget that book. If anyone wants to take my word on what book to read without me telling them much about it, YOU are that book. EVERYONE needs to read you. I'm desperate to buy another book from your author, Abigail Haas. I NEED IT IN MY LIFE. 

If I were to compare you to something, I think I would go with Gone Girl, which I didn't read but recently watched the movie, and the shock factor on both of these is crazy, mind blowing, and surreal. I will definitely be adding your author to my auto-buy list after you, because she's one of my new favorite authors. For realsies. I think it's safe to say that you are, without a doubt, a five star read!!!

Still mind-blown (in a totally wonderful way),

Becca




Have you read Dangerous Girls?
What did you think?
Do you want to read it?
Let's discuss!

post signature

6 comments:

  1. SO GLAD YOU LOVED IT!!! This one messed with my head too!! I love when a book shocks me.. and this one definitely did that. I haven't read Dangerous Boys yet, but I hope it has the shock-factor going on. I LOVED this book and want everyone to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Becca! Welcome to the club. I've recommended this book countlessly and everyone's loved it as well. It's awesome isn't it? The ending was by far the best part. And I know what you mean! I felt so much sympathy for Anna! Great review.

    Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this book so dearly. Everyone loves it and I can't even manage to find a copy. >:( I like that it is unpredictable! It sounds great Becca, awesome review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I'm so very happy to hear you read and LOVED this one!!
    It is such a mind blowing book with that ENDING!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book years ago and I'm still not over it! It's always my go to recommendation when someone asks me for one but I never tell them anything about it in fear of ruining the total mind eff that is the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's like Gone Girl? Then I'm in! Sounds so good and mindblowing! Great review! :)
    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs